Thursday, August 9, 2018

A journey to the west



China Post issued on March 30 , 2017- a set of four stamps, which visualize stories from the popular 16th-century novel Journey to the West. The whole set is priced at 5.40 yuan. This is the second set of the series , the first 4 stamps issued in 2015. 

The classic literature was written by Ming Dynasty author Wu Cheng'en. He reproduced the accounts of Tang Dynasty monk Xuanzang who traveled from the imperial capital Chang'an (now Xi'an) to the western regions (in today's Central Asia and India) for obtaining Buddhist sacred texts. The new stamps are designed by young artist Li Yunzhong who employs the traditional ink-brush technique of gongbi.

To find out more about Li Yunzhong, visit his blog at http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/3672620653.
Rather than making a sketch, Li paints smoothly without strokes and retouching, which makes his works smooth and rigorous.

The total postage for the cover is 6.40 yuan ( roughly 1 usd or ₹62/- ) And the cover took almost a month to reach me ! A cover’s Journey to the West ! 

Update - 24 August 2018 

I received this cover today and I was surprised another cover with the same set of stamps . I opened the cover to find that the envelope has been posted by the same friend who sent the previous envelope too ! 

I guess he forgot he has sent me the envelope with these stamps already , or he must have thought the first cover got lost ! 

I love both the covers , nevertheless! Thanks Chen:) 

This cover was posted on 29 July and reached me on 24 August ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment